Only Child by Rhiannon NavinMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
I was really disappointed in this book considering all the good reviews and hype it got. First off Niagara Falls is the collective name for three waterfalls that straddle the international border between the Canadian province of Ontario and the American state of New York, so to say Niagara Falls is in Canada is incorrect. Considering how many people are geography challenged today the least writers and publisher can do is provide factual information in their books.
Only getting six year old Zach Taylor's POV was annoying especially as at times he sounded and acted more like a preschooler and did we really need all the bathroom drama. I get the kid was upset but really did he have to poop and throw up all over the place. And having him almost glad his brother was killed at the beginning of the book was bizarre and made it really hard to connect with any of the characters. At times I was wishing that Zach was the one gun downed because I think 10 year old Andy would have been less annoying. And having Zach relaying information he really didn't understand (his Father's affair) meant it had very little impact on the story.
Mom Melissa was probably the most annoying character for the majority of the book as she seemed to completely ignore Zach, except when she was angry with him and spent most of her time going on TV blaming Charlie and his wife for their 19 year old sons actions. Which by the way at 19 the gunman was legally an adult and they couldn't make him take his medication, go to the doctor, or lock him away like she seemed to think they should have done. Also in light of her refusing to give Andy his medication except when it was super important he behave was hypocritical. In fact there was a point at the beginning of the book when Zach was talking about Andy's problems with anger that I wondered if he was the gunman. That might have actually made for a more interesting book.
Charlie was actually the most likable character in the book, while dealing with the death of his son and his guilt over his sons actions he still managed to behave like a decent human being.
I started to give this one star, but I did begin to like the book toward the end, it's too bad we didn't get the adults POV from time to time, I think it would have made for a more interesting and engaging book.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment
No Anonymous comments or SPAM allowed. I welcome all on topic comments and civil discourse.