The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy by Rachel JoyceMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
It was OK and answered some questions that The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry left unanswered.
I have to say I didn't like Queenie much, she seemed to constantly get involved with married men. First there was "The Shit" who got her PG and packed her off to have an abortion. Then there was Harold and while she didn't sleep with Harold I think a part of her did want to take him away from his wife. And I think the way she treated the widower was hurtful. He was free and wanted to marry her but she turned him down because of Harold. So it was hard to feel sorry for her, she could have had a marriage and family but she choose not to and to hold on to her love for Harold.
Her relationship with David also seemed like a way of replacing Maureen, not only as Harold's wife but as David's Mother. And like Maureen she enabled David's bad behavior.
It also goes to show that Harold never saw the real Queenie. He never knew she was pg when she came to town or that the reason she was crying in the cupboard was because she had lost her baby. He never knew about her relationship with David or that she loved him.
And I still don't understand why Harold felt the need to walk to see her. Hopefully Maureen will get her own book, I think of the three I will probably like her best.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment
No Anonymous comments or SPAM allowed. I welcome all on topic comments and civil discourse.