Dec 27, 2022

A World of Curiosities (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #18) by Louise Penny (Goodreads Author)

A World of Curiosities (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #18)A World of Curiosities by Louise Penny
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I think I would have probably enjoyed it more if I had been familiar with the series and was familiar with the characters. I found the first part of the book slow going as they kept referencing the past, once we got to the actual plot and things progressed in a straight line I enjoyed it much more, but without the flashbacks, to the past, it wouldn't have made sense.

When Armand and Jean-Guy first met they were trying to solve the murder of a mother whose two children had been sexually abused to feed her drug habit. It was also revealed that the local police were corrupt and that some of the officers had actually been customers. Armand saw the young boy Sam, as evil and thought he bore more of a responsibility for his Mother's death than Jean-Guy did. Jean-Guy actually took Sam an interest in Sam and taught him how to tie knots after he was thrown out of his boy scout troop. Fiona spent time in prison for her Mother's murder, even though Armand championed her and when she was released welcomed her into his home. Armand is also haunted by a serial killer named Fleming and his only comfort is that Fleming is behind bars.

After a painting is found in a walled-up room clues that Fleming has escaped abound, when Armand visits the prison he realizes right away that the prisoner everyone believes to be Fleming isn't him, proving it is a different matter. So he is pretty much on his own to hunt Fleming down. In the end, it's almost too late when Armand realizes Fleming's identity and discovers that Fiona is his daughter.

Amelia Choquet whose father killed Armand's parents in a drunk driving accident saves his life and the life of his wife and son-in-law. Ironically when she first applied for a job Armand denied her request in revenge for what her Father did but later changed his mind and gave her a chance


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Anonymous comments or SPAM allowed. I welcome all on topic comments and civil discourse.