Miss Benson's Beetle by Rachel JoyceMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
The book begins in September 1950 Miss Margery Benson is tired of being the butt of jokes and living her boring life, so she decides to go in search of a beetle, that is suppose to be in New Caledonia. She advertises for an assistant and winds up with Enid Pretty who isn't exactly what she seems. And unbeknownst to them both Mundic (a former POW) is following them. The voyage to Australia consist of Margery being seasick and Enid miscarrying her baby.
Nancy Collett's deceased husband is discovered in their bungalow and Nancy is the subject of a police inquiry.
As they search for the beetle Enid and Margery become closer. Enid realizes she is still pg and shares the news with Margery as well as the disturbing fact that he is Nancy Collet. Margery determines to protect Enid and the baby and they make plans to leave New Caledonia before the authorities can find them. Unfortunately a deranged Mundic stops them from leaving and only Margery and Gloria (the baby) survive the confrontation.
I didn't like the ending I wanted Enid, Margery and Gloria to all survive and have wonderful adventures together and don't understand the purpose of killing Enid off. I also think help should have been provided for Mundic.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment
No Anonymous comments or SPAM allowed. I welcome all on topic comments and civil discourse.