To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher PaoliniMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
I wanted to like this book since I love Eragon Eldest Brisingr and Inheritance but alas I didn't Most of the book was deadly boring and a chore to plough through. And Kira was annoying and not very realistic. It starts out with Kira being the damsel in distress of every horror book ever written poor little Kira who just got engaged is sent out to check a microbe in a remote part of Adra. Not content to just do her job she insist on checking out a rock formation for her fiance and it turns out to be alien and the alien life form bonds with Kira. (cue the eerie music)
Since the "Soft Blade" (which is what Kira calls it) is ultimately suppose to be a seed for life and desires to do no harm I find it unrealistic that it's first act is to kill Kira's fiance and several of her shipmates. I find it even more unbelievable that she wouldn't want the Soft Blade removed or that the Soft Blade would bond with someone without their permission. The first part of the book is Kira/Soft Blade being the ultimate weapon. And of course Kira accidentally starts a war with the Jellies and creates the Corrupted who both want to wipe out humanity. Although fearing the Corrupted will wipe them out too a group of Jellies want to form an alliance with humans.
Then Kira discovers that she created the Corrupted by accident (I am still not sure why the Soft Blade attempted to heal a Jelly and a human who were strangers to Kira and not her fiance and shipmates. The Corrupted is a fusion of the Jelly and Human with a copy of the seed) and that the Soft Blade was meant to create life. With her new understanding she is even more determined to bring Peace to humanity and Jellies, while wiping out/healing The Corrupted.
He set up a possible sequel as The Corrupted made 7 copies of itself before she destroyed it and at the end of the book she bestowed "gifts" on her friends before she set off alone to track the 7 copies down as well as The Seeker that got away. I really hope he doesn't and that he will turn his pen to something else.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment
No Anonymous comments or SPAM allowed. I welcome all on topic comments and civil discourse.