- The Confession by John Grisham - When a white cheerleader (Nicole) goes missing an innocent 18 year old African American High School football player (Donte) is harassed and tortured by the police until he confesses. The confession is used in court where the lawyer for the prosecution and the judge are having a torrid affair to convict. The DEATH PENALTY is handed down even though a body was never found. Now a white serial rapist (Travis Boyette) who has just been paroled is claiming to have killed Nicole, but the Court of Appeals doesn't believe him and the Governor refuses to stay the execution until Boyette can lead them to the body. The Court of Appeals refuses to accept the affidavit of the sole witness against Donte (Nicole's on again off again white football playing boyfriend ) stating that he lied about seeing Donte throw Nicole's body into the river because it arrived 7 minutes late. Donte is executed!!!!!!! Boyette then leads them to Nicole's body which he buried in another state and the State of Texas declares Donte INNOCENT after MURDERING him.
- The Orc King by R. A. Salvatore - a melancholy book as Drizzt is speaking with Hralien (a moon elf) centuries after the events in the book take place, Bruenor, Wulfgar, Regis & Catti-brie are long gone. Wulfgar chooses to return to Icewind Dale alone and seek out a place with his tribe. Colson is returned to her Mother in Auckney. Bruenor discovers a city where orcs and dwarfs lived in peace. Bruenor leads a party to kill King Obould. But after learning that King Obould wants peace and that it was Grguch that was responsible for the attack on Mithral Hall and the Moonwood, Bruenor saves King Obould's life and makes peace with him. Tos'un ( a drow) proves his loyalty to Drizzt, Bruenor & Hralien and finds a home with the moon elves.
- Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin - you can read my review here.
- Reprisal by F. Paul Wilson - Carol's "baby" is all grown up and sets out to destroy Father Bill's life. Rasalom discovers that Glaeken is an old man and assumes he is powerless to stop him from destroying the world as we know it.
- True Grit by Charles Portis - I much prefer the movie version starring John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn. Mattie Ross is a most unlikable heroine with her self-righteous attitude and opinionated ways. One has to admiring the lengths she went to to bring her Father's killer to justice, but I found the book tedious and unbelievable. I also found the ending very upsetting as all the horses were killed.
- Forbidden Faith The Secret History of Gnosticism by Richard Smoley - An interesting book. Hard to follow unless you have at least a basic understanding of the subject.
- Running Blind by Lee Child - The FBI blackmails Reacher into helping them catch a serial killer, but they aren't pleased when the identity of the serial killer is revealed as one of their own.
Feb 28, 2011
Feb 27, 2011
Tourism was touted as a major employer in our community. But no acknowledgment was made of the harm heavy industries that damage our environment would do to the tourist industry.
I would like to see more emphasis placed on having more university graduates and bringing higher paying jobs to Mississippi. I would like to see CLEAN Industries encouraged and more stringent regulations on industries so our environment isn't harmed.
Feb 23, 2011
McCollum said she will introduce new legislation to prohibit taxpayer funds from being used for motor sports sponsorships, including $45 million earmark for NASCAR and race track owners.
Feb 16, 2011
Feb 12, 2011
For a party that claims it wants less intrusion into our lives, the Republicans seem determined to intrude on a woman's right to choose.
Sign a petition to stop H.R. 3 here.
Other bills dealing with a woman's right to choose in the House H.R. 105, H.R. 165, H.R. 212, H.R. 217, H.R. 358, H.R. 361, H.R. 364, H.R. 374, H.R. 397, H.R. 593
But setting aside that issue what about the legal precedent it would set. As Oonagh McQuarrie put it.
I too wonder what will happen IF only violent rapes count? If women don't fight back even with a gun held to their head will they be told sorry your weren't really raped you didn't put up a fight? Will women whose assailants used date rape drugs be told sorry you weren't really raped because you were too out of it to know what was going on.
Federal bills aren't the only bills attempting to trivialize rape.
Feb 11, 2011
Public radio has provided a much needed service in the conservative area I live in. Without public radio my access to hard news and unbiased reporting would be severely limited.
If you wish to let Congress know your feelings you can take action at Don’t Let Congress Silence NPR and PBS.
Cross posted @ The Big Kahuna
Feb 10, 2011
Feb 8, 2011
Feb 4, 2011
You can read more here.
Feb 3, 2011
I enjoyed the Spinach & Artichoke Sandwich. A turkey breast with spinach and artichoke spread, bacon strips & sliced tomatoes on foccacia bread, it was extremely good. I also had a bowl of the Portobello Mushroom Soup, which was very tasty.
Feb 2, 2011
Bell by Mark Lemp
Dress it up, dress it down – Walking Cradles presents the Romance. This beautiful slip-on sandal really shines with its ornate shimmery stitching and delicate line.
- Bell in Sun Gold
Very comfortable shoe, but you should order a half size larger then you normally wear. I usually wear a 9.5 but it seems a little short. Wish I had gotten a 10 instead.
It looks great.
(I purchased these shoes with a coupon from the store)