Sep 11, 2008

First the Chinese Killed Our Pets, Now They are Killing Babies

Federal officials warned Thursday that tainted infant formula from China may be on sale at ethnic groceries in this country, even though it is not legally approved for importation.

The Food and Drug Administration urged U.S. consumers to avoid all infant formula from China, after several brands sold in that country came under suspicion of being contaminated with melamine, a chemical used in plastics. Officials said there have been reports from China of babies developing serious kidney problems as a result.


Melamine is the same chemical involved in a massive pet food recall last year. (The recall responsible for Whiskers' murder by the unscrupulous Chinese.) It is not supposed to be added to any food ingredients, but unscrupulous suppliers in China sometimes mix it in to make foodstuffs appear to be high in protein. Melamine is nitrogen rich, and standard tests for protein in bulk food ingredients measure levels of nitrogen.

2 comments:

  1. I was panicked (!) to hear that Cadbury is recalling chocolate bars that use this tainted Chinese "milk." Why are products sold in the USA not labeled with their country of origin? So much of the stuff we buy says "Distributed in the USA." Not exactly helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I love Cadbury eggs I was thankful that it wasn't near Easter, cause then I would have panicked myself. Chocolate has been added to my do not eat list. Which at this point is longer then my safe to eat list.

    I was horrified to learn that so many things that we assume are made from products in the U.S. may be assembled from products that came from anywhere.

    China has a horrible record. I would never knowingly eat anything from China until they start putting safety before profit. Unfortunately I don't know where half the stuff I eat comes from.

    We are trying to grow our own food, with limited success. But it is the only food that I am sure is safe.

    ReplyDelete

No Anonymous comments or SPAM allowed. I welcome all on topic comments and civil discourse.